Academic Catalog

Options for Earning College Credit


Cooperative Education (co-op) and internships are part of the College’s Experiential Learning program, which integrates off-campus career learning experiences with classroom studies. These experiences are structured to explore career options and/or to prepare for a specific occupation. Students participating in co-op and internships gain college credit and are graded for their learning/work experience by appropriate faculty.

  1. Co-op: Students are placed in a full-time paid work/learning position that is directly related to their major field of study. They gain hands-on work experience and learn about related occupational positions in that field.
  2. Internship: Students are placed in a part-time work/learning experience designed to introduce them to several facets of a particular career in an actual work environment. This can be paid or unpaid.

Co-op/internships can be done in selected majors in both degree and certificate programs. They may be taken for 1, 2 or 3 credits with a maximum of 6 credits per student. Course numbers for the majors participating in co-op/internship are: 199 for 3 credits (18 hours), 194 for 2 credits (120 hours) and 190 for one credit (60 hours).

Eligibility requirements:

For associate degree programs: completion of a minimum of 18 credits with at least 9 in the major, or core discipline. In some majors more courses are required.

For certificate programs, completion of the required courses for the certificate. The co-op/internship cannot be substituted for a required course.

The following are also required for all programs:

  • A grade point average of at least 2.5
  • A written faculty recommendation
  • A current resume

The Student Employment Services and Co-Op Center staff work with students in securing appropriate opportunities. However, placement is not guaranteed. For more information, call 610-359-5304.

Independent Study

Some programs offer an “independent” instructional mode for self-motivated, highly disciplined students who cannot pursue certain courses within the regular course framework. Students must check with the division dean to determine if independent study is appropriate.

Note: Independent study should not be confused with individualized study. Individualized study courses are those in which students work with various types of instructional support and individualized instruction. MAT 100 are offered in individualized instruction mode.

Transfer of Credit

A student who transfers to Delaware County Community College from another college can request the transfer of credits by sending an official transcript from their previous institution to Enrollment Central or to Current and former students may transfer to the College a maximum of 36 credits from a regionally accredited institution towards an associate degree and half of the total credits required towards a certificate. Students who have attended a college or university outside of the United States may be able to transfer their credits into Delaware County Community College. To do so, students should have the official, English-translated transcripts evaluated course-by-course by any member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) and have the evaluations sent to the Records Office. For more information, visit or call 610-359-5322.

Credit for Prior Learning

Prior learning can be evaluated for College credit through the use of standardized tests or the submission of a portfolio containing certificates, transcripts and other information that documents college-level learning earned outside a formal classroom. Examples of other learning opportunities include apprenticeships, military service and non-credit seminars. Obtaining credit for prior learning may accelerate degree completion. Prior Learning Assessment Advisors guide students in the identification and documentation of their learning as it relates to college courses and curricula in accordance with College policy. For more information, visit or call 610-359-5322.

Advanced Placement

Delaware County Community College grants advanced-placement college credits to qualified students. Advanced placement allows students to fulfill the requirements for certain courses. Students must contact the College Board to have their official grade report sent directly to the Assessment Services office. Credit is awarded to students earning an appropriate score on CEEB advanced placement examinations subject to instructor approval. For additional information, call 610-359-3522.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

It is possible for a student to earn 36 credits toward an associate degree through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). The CLEP exams provide students with the opportunity to receive college credit by earning qualifying scores on most of the examinations. For more information, contact Assessment Services at 610-359-3522 or visit