The Health Care Management curriculum prepares students for management roles in a rapidly changing health care environment. Once focused on episodes of treatment for acute disease, the health care industry now emphasizes lifelong health maintenance and wellness promotion. The program is intended for health care workers who require new knowledge and skills to compete in the changing health care marketplace. It will also be useful for those individuals with no previous health care experience who seek non-clinical entry-level positions in health care, or who plan to continue their education in the field of health care administration.
An Associate in Applied Science will be awarded upon completion of the program with a 2.0 GPA and a “C” or better in all Allied Health, Emergency Services and Nursing (AHESN) courses.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Use correct terminology related to the health care setting, patient care, and health care management.
- Identify forces impacting health care and their effect on delivery, financing practice patterns, and utilization of personnel and services.
- Examine the priorities, trends and issues of managed care, managing risk and quality improvement, and measuring outcomes.
- Describe the ethical, legal and regulatory framework of the health care environment.
- Practice effective communication skills for the health care environment.
- Explain roles, functions, and tools of a manager in the health care setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of computer technology and its use in the health care setting.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and practices applicable to health information.
- Apply economic and business practices to the health care setting.
- Solve problems related to health care management using critical thinking skills.
|ENG 100||English Composition I||3|
|DPR 100||Introduction to Information Technology||3|
|AHM 102||Introduction to Health Care||3|
|AHA 207||Ethical/Legal Aspects of Health Care Management||3|
|BUS 100||Introduction to Business||3|
|ENG 112||English Composition II: Writing About Literature||3|
|AHM 233||Medical Terminology||3|
|ECO 220||Microeconomic Principles||3|
|Any Global Understanding and Diversity and Social Justice designated course||3|
|Select one of the following:||3-4|
|Modern College Mathematics|
Any higher Quantitative Reasoning designated MAT course
|AHA 209||Philosophy of Managed Care||3|
|AHM 130||Medical Coding Concepts for Allied Health||3|
|BUS 230||Principles of Marketing||3|
or COMM 100
or Interpersonal Communication
|Any Scientific Inquiry designated Science course||4|
|AHA 206||Reimbursement and Financing in Managed Care||3|
|AHA 217||Health Care Quality, Outcomes and Accreditation||3|
|AHM 140||Professional and Communication Issues in Health Care||3|
|BUS 210||Principles of Management||3|
|Allied Health/Business Elective||3|