Effective: Fall 2016
The Associate of Applied Science in Health Studies is designed to offer students interested in working within the health care field an opportunity to attain the associate degree. Students acquiring this degree would be able to pursue advancement opportunities within varied health care settings. Examples of positions that would be applicable include: Billing Supervisor, Patient Service Representative, Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Supply Manager and Allied Health Instructor. This program is especially advantageous for students who have completed certificates of competency and proficiency programs offered by the Allied Health and Nursing department and wish to complete a degreed course of study. The program offers a broad view of health care related topics while providing a basic liberal study foundation.
An Associate in Applied Science will be awarded upon completion of the program with a 2.0 GPA and a “C” or better in all Allied Health and Nursing (AHN) courses.
Upon completion of this curriculum students are eligible to sit for the CMRS (Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist) exam. The CMRS designation is awarded by the Certifying Board of the American Medical Billing Association (CBAMBA).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the anatomical structure and physiological functioning of the human body and of medical terms descriptive of body systems.
- Perform the administrative duties required in a health care setting.
- Describe the ethical and legal issues related to health care delivery.
- Define the roles and responsibilities of various providers and disciplines throughout the continuum of health care.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and practices applicable to health information including electronic health records.
|ENG 100||English Composition I||3|
|CS 100||Introduction to Information Technology||3|
|AHM 102||Introduction to Health Care||3|
|AHM 233||Medical Terminology||3|
|AHM 140||Professional and Communication Issues in Health Care||3|
|COMM 100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|SOC 110||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|AHM 104||Body Structure and Function I 1||3|
|PSY 140||General Psychology||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Modern College Mathematics|
|Introduction to Probability and Statistics|
|AHM 105||Body Structure and Function II 1||3|
|AHM 202||Fundamentals of Health Information Technology Science||3|
|AHM 130||Medical Coding Concepts for Allied Health||3|
|BIO 100||Biological Sciences||4|
|AHM 241||Revenue Cycle Management and Reimbursement Methodologies||3|
|AHM 185||Medical Office Management||4|
|AHA 207||Ethical/Legal Aspects of Health Care Management||3|
|Two Open Electives||6|