Effective: Fall 2018
The Medical Billing 19 college-credit certificate program provides students with the skills necessary to function as medical billers for all types of health care institutions. The curriculum includes medical terminology, health informatics, analysis of coded data used on claims for reimbursement and principles of medical billing.
A Certificate of Competency in Medical Billing will be awarded upon completion of this curriculum with a 2.0 GPA and a “C” or better in all allied health courses.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Correctly code procedures and diagnoses using correct medical terminology and correct ICD and CPT codes.
- Describe legal and ethical issues involved in medical billing.
- List different types of health insurance carriers and the reimbursement systems for each.
- Complete health insurance related forms and financial reports.
- Describe the follow up process with insurance companies and patients regarding unpaid bills.
- Describe the major health care organizations and agencies and their role in the health care delivery system.
The College will award a certificate of competency to students who complete an approved credit-bearing career program that requires less than 30 credits. General education courses may not be required for programs that have less than 30 credits. The student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. At least six credit hours must be in courses that are awarded grade points.
|Introduction to Information Technology
|Introduction to Health Care
|Medical Coding Concepts for Allied Health
|Medical Office Management
|Revenue Cycle Management and Reimbursement Methodologies
Some online courses have field requirements or in person/proctored testing. Online courses with these requirements have additional information posted under the COURSE DESCRIPTION section when you are registering. Please make a note of it during registration.
Medical Billing (Certificate)
Browse or search for careers and we will give you relevant data on wages, employment, and the training you need.
Faculty and staff in Career & Counseling Services are eager to help you become successful in college and in life. We offer services to assist you at any point in your academic journey and we tailor our approach to meet your individual needs.